South Korea is not only a haven of beauty products, fashion, pop idol music, and drama. Even if you’re not an avid fan or follower of Korean culture, you have surely tried two or a couple of their foods like samgyupsal, bibimbap, tteokbokki, kimchi, and the crowd favorite, Korean street toast. After all, Korean restaurants are sprouting and spreading globally. You might even have one near you!
As for me, during this quarantine period, I discovered a popular cooking show in Korea named Stars’ Top Recipe at Fun-Staurant. I instantly became hooked to the show despite not being a fan of cooking. What I loved about this show is that it aims to boost the different struggling food-related industries in Korea by challenging celebrities into making their own creative recipes. Adding to that, the recipes should qualify as convenience store food – easy to manufacture and will appeal to the masses. The food will then be judged by a panel and the winning dish will be launched.
The show which first became popular when cast member Jung Ilwoo discovered dalgona coffee back in 2019 helped me explore more beyond the basic Korean food. Honestly, I have even taken a liking into cooking my own versions of the recipes.
In the process of creating their own top recipes, celebrities tour the different parts of South Korea (and even other countries) to get inspiration. Aside from getting hungry while they try on different foods, it’s what also sparked me to get to know more about their rich street food culture.
One recipe that I’ve been eyeing to try is the Korean Street Toast often found along the streets near universities. It’s a favorite among students as a quick breakfast fix. Even foreigners are attracted to this interesting street food because according to rumors, this is not your ordinary toast.
What is a Korean Street Toast?
It’s made with an omelette patty filled with vegetables (Koreans really love vegetables and they can never go without it), ham, and cheese sprinkled with sugar and drizzled with ketchup and mayonnaise. And then these scrumptious fillings are sandwiched into two toasted breads brushed with butter.
It’s the perfect mix of flavors. The sugar which is its signature ingredient balances the buttery flavor of the toast and the sweet and salty mix of vegetables rolled into an omelette, mayo, and ketchup. These are often served in paper cups or tin foils like a burrito.
How to make a Korean Street Toast?
Here is a step-by-step on how to make this delicious meal which you can eat anytime of the day! First, you need to prepare these ingredients. Note that this recipe is good for two people.
- 1 oz cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 oz onion, thinly sliced
- 1 oz carrot, cut into long thin strips
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 5 tbsp room temperature butter
- 4 white sandwich breads
- 3 tsp sugar
- 2 sliced honey ham (optional)
- 2 sliced American cheese (optional)
- First, prepare your omelette patty. You can use any vegetable you like and that is available in your fridge. For this recipe, we’re sticking to the basics like cabbage, onion, carrot. Thinly slice the cabbage and onion. Then cut the carrots into long strips.
- In a bowl, mix the vegetables with two eggs and season with salt and black pepper. Mix it thoroughly. If you’d like, you can also add in more eggs.
- Prepare your white sandwich breads by brushing it with butter on both sides.
- Heat your skillet over medium high heat. Place 1 tbsp of butter to coat the skillet evenly.
- Add your vegetable mixture into the pan. Roughly shape it into a rectangle to make it easy to fit into your bread. Cook for about a minute and then cut into two (since this recipe is for two people) then flip it over. Cook again for 2-3 minutes until the bottom turns light brown and crispy.
- After cooking your mixture, toast your bread until both sides turn a little crispy.
- Lastly for the cooking part, cook your sliced honey ham (optional).
Assemble the toast.
- Place one piece of toasted bread on a plate then add your omelette patty. Sprinkle with sugar before layering it with your ham.
- You can opt to sprinkle more sugar before putting in your sliced American cheese.
- And then, drizzle with ketchup and mayonnaise before finally adding the other piece of toasted bread.
There you have it. This is best partnered with a cup of hot coffee. Enjoy!